Feeling you are the only creative (web designer/web developer/graphic designer/logo designer) going through a period with a client from Hell? You are not alone. There is a site where creatives can post anonymously their clients-from-hell stories: Clients From Hell. It's a site mixed with the funny, sad to the gory tales of how clients can treat creatives.
However, there are some stories that come off as condescending and I do agree with some web designers who feel the site may be going bad. But we cannot invalidate the genuine stories of clients-from-hell posted on the site (and they make up most of the stories). Check this:
- Client wants project done but disappears before sending content. Client comes backs later - after numerous follow-ups from the creative - with accussations that their time has been wasted.
- Clients asking for "family discounts"
- Clients using the work without even paying for it thus infringing on the IP of the creator/creative
- Clients using creatives work without fully paying for it
- Clients demanding for extra work but refusing to pay for it
- Clients requesting for work to be done. Work is done but client discards it later without paying for it etc.
The common thread in all these stories is Injustice; the client commits an offence that damages the creatives situation somehow or is unfair to the creative in some way. This is a serious thing that cannot be dismissed.
Otherwise, if you are a creative dig into the site and see what trials others going through.